Modern cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles come with complex
technology such as digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers,
unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more
efficiently than models of years past. However, they eventually need to be
Before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service, do your homework so you receive the best possible service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
- Do not ignore any warning signals your car may give you.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give your mechanic.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Allow our experienced technicians to diagnose and recommend a remedy.
- It's important to note when the problem occurs. Is it constant or periodic? Does it occur when the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up? Does it happen at all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
Check for the following common vehicle maintenance issues on a regular basis:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, and vibrations.
- When did the problem first start?
How to manage your service experience:
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for an explanation in laymans terms if necessary.
- Don't rush the technicians. You may be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and cost before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Make sure the shop has your contact information readily available, so you can be reached as soon as possible.
I had just converted my 2020 Hyundai Elantra from a lease to a purchase and now owned a car I thought I was going to turn in. I had not done any of the maintenance except for oil changes as I thought Hyundai would be taking care of that. With the car over 40K miles and due to experience with other prior purchases, I figured I was in need of a transmission oil change, Radiator flush and a engine oil change. The nice people at Cottin's made an appointment and we got together on the appointed date and time. They had the car on the rack about 15 minutes and came out to tell me my transmission oil was nowhere close to being due. Per Hyundai, that was a 120K service and they had a tamper sticker over the plug as it probably should be done at Hyundai direct. I asked them about the radiator. Again, due at approx 80k and my car was only 40k. They offered to still do the service if I really wanted to waste the money, but said it was not necessary. All I really needed was an engine oil change, air/cabin filters and some wiper blades. They took care of those items quickly and efficiently and the cost was very reasonable. Most other shops I know would have done the work I originally requested and not said a word, happy to make the quick buck without me being the wiser. Cottin's on the other hand only did what was needed and did it well. I am very pleased with the services done and will be back in the event I do have a break-down or when I do hit the mileage for the other services. Thank you for being SO honest and transparent. You have earned a customer for life!
Ken Fisk, 06/21/2022
Moved to Florida and was looking for an honest repair shop that we could depend on. After researching several local auto repair shops Cottin's Automotive received many great reviews. They have great customer service, quick repairs and didn't try to oversell me on anything. We will definitely be doing business with Cottin's Automotive going forward. Thank you for the great service.
Tery R., 05/11/2022
I don't think I have ever enjoyed an oil change as much! Brian and his employee/associate Dimitri were professionals but still so friendly.(Scary good)HONEST PRICES!! There was no dawdling over the work,but not rushed. They took time to explain easily what is happening with vehicle but wasn't trying to upsell,which is why I'd go back time and again!